Sports Premium Funding
Since 2013 the government has providing funding to provide new and substantial primary school sports. The funding has been jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and has seen money going directly to primary school Head Teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
At Dalton St Michael’s the funding for 2017/18 is £16500.
The additional funding this year will enable us to provide more physical enrichment and greater opportunities for the children. Already we have booked some activities for all classes in school to partake.
In the autumn term, Year five and six completed additional sports provision entitled 'Character Development'. This involved a series of outdoor physical problem solving activities.
This term, our Year one children are completing a series of 'Mini wheelers' sessions using balance bikes. We have already been able to see the progress made.
Purpose of the funding
All schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but there is freedom to choose how we do this.
Use of the funding at Dalton St Michael’s C.E. Primary School
The money will be used so that all children benefit regardless of their sporting ability. We will continue to place a high priority on our P.E. provision. At Dalton St Michael’s C.E. Primary School we have:
- Bought into the Schools Sports Partnership. This means we get a half day of qualified coaches coming into school to provide a rolling programme of PE and Sport.
- Membership of the School Sports Partnership who organise inter-school competitions, CPD and network meetings for PE subject leaders
- A new Change4Life sport club
- Paid for professional development opportunities in PE/Sport
- Provided cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/Sport
- Bought additional resources for PE/sport
- Additional swimming lessons
- Provided a range of After-school clubs and opportunities for outdoor adventurous experiences
Impact of the funding at Dalton St Michael's C.E. Primary School
Since accessing the Sports funding we have been fortunate that this has helped to consolidate the physical skills of the majority of our pupils. It has enabled us to provide opportunities for the children to take part in many more inter-school sports activities and excel in a variety of areas at both individual and team level.
To ensure the sustainability of these improvements, all staff have worked with the qualified coaches in a range of activities across the Primary P.E. National Curriculum. All our teaching staff teach P.E. throughout the school year and are confident to do so. Assessments are kept up-to-date and indicate the progress the children have made in each aspect of P.E. These assessments are used as a diagnostic tool to aid future planning.
At Dalton St Michael’s the funding for 2016/17 was £8260.
In 2015/16 the school Sport funding was £8045. This was spent on:
West Lancashire Sports Partnership £4200
Resources for P.E. £845